Monday, April 12, 2010

Cooking Challenge: Cook With Real Food!

These days everyone is talking about "real food" -- what does that even mean? Well, if you take the advice of author/journalist/food expert Michael Pollan, you are eating real food if you "don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food". You know the tips -- shop the outside of the grocery store, don't buy anything that has ingredients your 3rd grader can't pronounce, and so on.

But how easy is it to actually make a meal that doesn't contain any processed ingredients? In my opinion, it's easier than you may think. Granted, you may spend a few more dollars, but you will know that the food you're putting into you and your family's bodies is "real food". (It's actually absurd that we need to make the distinction, isn't it?)



So I set out to make a meal purely using natural ingredients and nothing processed. I ended up making a delicious meal that I can't really take credit for as it is featured in Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook, but it was tasty and easy to prepare! It wasn't overly time consuming and it included healthy ingredients, although I can't say it was perfect as I did learn a valuable lesson in the process, which I'll mention in a moment.

Without further ado, I bring you my meal: Italian Pan-Seared Tuna -- recipe by Jamie Oliver, preparation by yours truly. I have to avoid reprinting the actual recipe for copyright issues, but if you're interested, why not pick up a copy of his book?



Ingredients:
garlic
red and yellow cherry tomatoes (I used heirloom tomatoes)
black olives (I used Kalamata)
fresh basil
lemon
tuna steaks
sea salt and pepper
dried oregano (I used Italian Seasoning)
olive oil
anchovies





The finished product was a tasty, healthy meal that was probably one of the most delicious things I've ever made in my kitchen, and the entire process (including prep) only took me about 30 minutes!



I have to admit, I chose this recipe on a whim as it just sounded so delicious, but I realize now that there were a few flaws in my plan, but I have solutions for those flaws! First of all, I know what you're thinking: "Anchovies? Olives? My kid is sooo not going to eat that! Fish? Same!" I hear you, I really do, but I truly think that if you introduce foods early to kids, they will develop a palate for them early on and enjoy food that much more into adulthood. Sure, I don't have kids, how do I know this? Well, last year while I was working at a cafe, I witnessed a regular occurrence that confirmed my faith that kids will try anything and learn to love foods that they "think" they won't like, as long as you introduce those foods to them! A very cute family with very young children used to enjoy a long, leisurely lunch in our cafe; the children would nosh on cheese and bread of course, but also olives, pickled onions, beets and other savoury items. These kids and their pure enjoyment of this food was inspiring! So I do believe your kids will eat it!

Another flaw to this meal was the choice of fish: tuna steaks. Although they were extremely delicious, I felt a tad guilty eating them as I know that some types of tuna are not sustainable and being over-fished. This tuna was Yellowfin, which on some lists is not a terrible choice, but you never really know. So next time I would choose a more eco-friendly protein. If you'd like to learn more about sustainable fish, head on over to Sea Choice -- they have all the info, and even a little hand-held guide you can bring with you to the grocery store and restaurants! (I should have had mine with me...) Also the tuna wasn't cheap, but I figure I'd rather spend my money on great food than something else, but that is a personal choice. Speaking of value for money...

How to stretch this meal:
Depending on the quantity you make and the size of your family, you could have leftovers from this recipe. If so, I thought of some ways to stretch this meal further and get more for your dollar!

1) Cut up the fish into smaller pieces and use as a topper for a salad the next day
2) Do the same and mix it into a pasta dish the next night
3) Put the remaining tomatoes, olives etc. in a blender and turn it into a sauce, for the above pasta!

I learned a lot from this experience and I am anxious to see if anyone wants to participate in the challenge! No deadline -- whenever the mood strikes you, email me your photos and tell me what you made!

Bon Appetit!
~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment