Sunday, April 11, 2010

You CAN Win Friends with Salad! 

But if you can't, you can always make a salad friend! For the past couple days, I have had the little chant "you can't win friends with salad!" sung by Bart (Simpson) & family in the episode featuring Paul & Linda McCartney when Lisa becomes a vegetarian. Here's the clip: (the only one I could find - such quality taping your tv!)  
 

With that song playing through my head, I decided it would be fun to make a salad friend for my lunch yesterday. Which could also be a silly way to trick a little one into eating salad if salad is on the "I don't like" list. Getting kids involved in creating their food may make them more willing to eat up their salad friend! 

How delicious would it be to design your own salad face from an assortment of crunchy, fresh veggies? For my salad friend, I used spinach for the face, shredded carrot for the hair, mushrooms for the nose & ears, a red pepper for the mouth and a trio of  cucumber, almond & red peppers for the eyes. Check him out:



He looks like a Ben to me somehow. Strange. My salad friend would love to meet other salad friends. Why not get creative in the kitchen and make your own salad friend?Email littlefoodiesblog@gmail.com a picture of your salad friend and maybe if we get enough entries, we can have a little vote for 1st - 2nd & 3rd prize? A little competition is fun right?!

Along my salad thoughts, some wonderful felt play food came to mind. Another great way for kids to become familiar with and play with their food. Check out these delicious felt salads!

Felt Playfood Tossed Salad by Eva Lauren - Etsy  

Looking forward to seeing your salad friends! There is no entry deadline for the photos, I'll keep adding them to the site when they arrive. Enjoy your next salad!

- Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment