Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tasty Pop Alternatives!

While thinking about some ideas to share with you here on Little Foodies, I got a thirst for one of my favourite beverages: iced tea! I'm not talking about powdered sugar crystals mixed with water or even the bottled stuff. I've found that many different teas served cold can be just as tasty as fruit juice or pop, and are better for you. There are also a few other beverages I drink to satisfy my palate while keeping my teeth "acid erosion free" and my sugar intake low. I thought perhaps you might want to test these ideas out on the little ones in your life, and see if you can eliminate pop (soda) from your home entirely! I don't claim to be a nutrition expert; I am simply sharing my opinions about what I think are healthy drink options. With any of these drinks you can always add a splash of sparkling water to add a bit of fizzy fun!

image via Flickr user lila kahn

Iced Tea
Experiment with different green teas and herbal teas. This is very easy to make ahead and chill for the next day. Brew the tea as usual and steep for the appropriate time (this is different for different types of teas). If you can, loose leaf tea is best, but I often do this with bagged tea as well. Allow the tea to cool, then transfer it into a pretty pitcher for the fridge. Sweeten it lightly with either Agave syrup or honey, or just add some mint sprigs or citrus slices. In the morning you'll have a refreshing, tasty beverage that's good for you and the kids too! My favourites so far have been green mint tea and blueberry rooibos. Depending on the age of your kids, I would recommend using herbal teas with the least amount of caffeine.

image via Flickr user floridecires

Almond Milk Shake
Almond milk has a nutty taste which often makes it taste slightly sweet. It comes in chocolate and vanilla, but I recommend simply opting for the original flavour. Combine in a blender: almond milk, a banana, and some berries or other fruit your kids enjoy. Blend it up and serve in a fun glass. I like to grate a tiny bit of dark chocolate (90% cacao) on top just for fun! This drink can be a great stand-in for dessert; you can even freeze some of the milk into ice cube trays to give the feeling of ice cream in the shake. Almond milk is a great choice for a special milkshake because it's lower in fat and has less sugar added than soy milk. Obviously you can use cow's milk if that is what you drink anyway, but almond milk can be a healthier alternative because it has no cholesterol, less fat and more antioxidants. It's a great choice for kids who are lactose-intolerant, but obviously not a great choice for kids with nut allergies. The bottom line is that this milk with the addition of the banana creates a tasty sweetness without the need for adding sugar, syrup or honey to the shake.

image via Flickr user mygeneralmailbox

Infused Water
This one is so easy! Grab a pitcher of cold water and throw something in to infuse it with flavour! You can do this one of two ways: Throw some cut fruit and/or herbs into the water and let it sit overnight in the fridge; or blend fruit into a puree and mix in with water. So far I've tried: lemon and lime wedges, cucumber slices and mint sprigs, cherry puree and pineapple puree.

Have fun trying these suggestions and let me know how they go over with the little foodies in your house!

Cheers!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Huumm! These cold drink recipes are going to be perfect for this summer! Thank you Heather!

    Until here, my favorite iced tea recipe is this one that I've done, based on a bottle of tea I bought once:
    Drop Jasmine tea, a good amount of honey and many slices of ginger roots into boiled water. Remove tea 15-20 minutes later, but let the ginger in, which we'll remove in 8 hours minimum (it will give a spicy side to the drink), when we'll take the jar out from the fridge, to pour a first drink.

    Enjoy the summer! ☼

    ReplyDelete