Saturday, April 24, 2010

Could Farmville Be More Sustainable?

My farm in its early stages...

For those of you who are on Facebook, chances are you've heard of, or even become addicted to one of its games: Farmville. Growing up we never had video games, and I definitely don't recommend countless hours of video game or computer game play, but Farmville has shown me that you can actually learn something from a computer game, and this can translate into more of a connection to your food!

The object of the game is to develop your own farm and gain as many coins and Farmville dollars as possible, while also gaining XP: experience. As you continue to gain coins, dollars and experience, opportunities to purchase different crops, animals and decorations for your farm increase.

I have to admit, I'm pretty addicted to this game! At least I'm not the only one, I believe it's Facebook's most popular game with users from all over the world building simulated farms online. Yes, we should all really be getting outside and visiting real farms, growing our own veggies in the backyard or on the balcony, and connecting with nature in a real way; but during the winter months or as part of our daily computer checking routine, I don't think there's anything wrong with a little Farmville play.

As I continue to play this game, I keep thinking to myself: could they make Farmville more sustainable? They have introduced cooperative farming and they are advertising their upcoming feature, "Farmers' Markets", but I think players should be rewarded for more sustainable practices while simu-farming. I know that sounds ridiculous because, hey -- it's a fake farm -- but if more of us use technology to learn about food and farming, I believe it will motivate us to get outside and discover farms and farmers' markets more in our everyday lives.

Right now in the game, you get rewarded by planting many rows of the same crops, and I'm guilty of feeling great when I get a new sign representing a crop I've harvested in large amounts. However, how about rewarding us for planting different varieties instead? That would teach kids and adults about diversity on the farm and how it is a more organic, healthy way to plant crops.

Or, what about rewarding those who plant trees and crops based on the seasons? It's fun to have lemon and lime trees, but we could also teach kids who play this game that based on where they live, certain veggies and fruit are available during certain seasons.

Farmville has actually taught me about some plants I didn't even know existed! I know that is quite sad, but it also proves that even your average foodie is still somewhat disconnected from some of the foods, trees and plants that grow in the world, so I thank Farmville for introducing me to the durian tree and the gulmohar tree!

What do you think? Do you play Farmville? Do you think they could do a huge service to thousands of Facebookers by promoting sustainability in their game? Share your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment